The Sgt. David James Smith Memorial Fund was founded to provide support for our veterans and our local community in memory of our loved hero who gave all to protect our freedom. Proceeds from the fund support our Wounded Veterans, the established scholarships in David’s honor, and the needs of our local community. We are a 501(c)3, all run by volunteers, who are family and friends of David.
Thanks to our grateful and patriotic community, our fund has provided the following:
- Generous donations to Warfighter Advance, the Semper Fi Fund, Wounded Warrior Project, and Operation Second Chance.
- Friends of Meals on Wheels, a non-profit formed to support Frederick County Meals on Wheels through advocacy, whose goal is for no senior or disabled adult to go hungry.
- The Fisher House Foundation, which provides ‘comfort homes’ at military and VA medical centers worldwide for families to be close to their loved one during hospitalization, received computers for their Bethesda homes to help families keep in touch during their stay.
- The Alan P. Linton Jr. Emergency Homeless Shelter in Frederick, part of the Religious Coalition for Emergency Needs, received funding to help provide shelter for local homeless. Alan P. Linton Jr., a Frederick native, was killed in the Sept. 11, 2001 World Trade Center attack.
- The Frederick Soup Kitchen, part of the Frederick Community Action Agency, received help covering a funding shortfall for providing sufficient food to local persons in need.
- S.H.I.P. The Student Homelessness Initiative Project
- Forever Frederick County, create funds to provide strategic grants based on Frederick County’s most pressing needs
- Proceeds from the golf tournaments have funded college scholarships awarded to graduating seniors from Frederick High School:
- 2011 – Josh Tokar and Amanda Stokes
- 2012 – Stanley Portillo and Taylor Tolbert
- 2013 – Ricky Kelley and Daniel Moore
- 2014 – Tommy Stokes and Jamima Mawi
- 2015 – Emily Samick
- 2016 – Jules Chabot
- 2017 – Matthew Vilanueva
- 2018 – DeClan Fitzgerald
- 2019 – Dominic Staley Nestor, Courtney Catherine Grove, Van Mawi
- The Fund has been able to provide Offtrack Road Chairs to very deserving veterans. These chairs have made a big difference in their lives.
- 2015 – Keith Maul
- 2016 – Ryan Major
- 2017 – Special Ops Veteran
- 2019 Warfighters Advance, whose mission is successful reintegration of every Warfighter. They are committed to a tireless and honest effort to reduce the rate of post-deployment suffering and suicide.
The Sgt. David J. Smith Memorial Fund is a charitable Established Fund within The Community Foundation of Frederick County, a 501(c)(3) public charity. Click HERE to learn more.